Burn Money to Smell Bad or Quit for Good…..


Smoking is a hard habit to quit. Trust me, I’ve quit four or five times in the last five years. It seems to go okay until a stressful situation hits, and I return once again to that dirty habit that consumed my life. However, 68 days ago, I quit for good. At 24 years old and working for the State Department of Public Health Section of Nursing, I have grown to be more educated about smoking and the harm it has caused me and the potential damage that can happen. Through the last few months I have gained knowledge and done research and started monitoring my own feelings and surroundings when I get a craving for a smoke. It has been quite the eye-opener.
            I started smoking at age 19 after my first partner broke up with me. I’ve come to realize that break ups or loss of friendships or other relationship losses are a HUGE trigger for me- I always reach for a cigarette and a drink because of course it’s the healthiest choice for me! NOT! Another trigger is emotional stress or being overwhelmed. Most of the time this is connected to other individuals and my inability to control the situation. Alcohol and social smoking are other huge triggers for me. It took years for me to recognize this but once I figured it out, I knew it was time for a plan of action to quit smoking for good.
            I have a lot of reasons for wanting to quit smoking. Of course there is my health but biggest reasons are that I can’t STAND the smell of cigarettes and they cost a fortune. I’d rather not burn my money to make me even more sick while I’m trying to better my health. Can we say STUPID?!?!?
            Quitting seems to be relatively easy for me as I usually quit during low-stress periods of my life. This time, however, I’m focused on quitting for good. This caused me to start getting new habits, walk away from triggers, and find other habits or substitutes for smoking. The biggest issue has been the nervous anxiousness I feel. My doctor put me on Xanax for when I absolutely need it, but I can’t trade addictions. I got mints, cinnamon fire jolly ranchers, and cinnamon flavored toothpicks for when I have the need to have something in my mouth or hands. This helps calm my nerves and helps mask the cravings. Cinnamon is best because it overwhelms the taste of the nicotine left in your system that comes out in saliva. It helps curb that physical symptom of wanting a smoke. The toothpicks are also great for the hand to mouth habit and not eating everything in sight. I have also started to eat more natural and organic foods that make my body feel better, so I don’t crave a smoke from being lazy or tired. Staying active has helped me a great deal in the emotional mood swings and withdrawal. It is when I am stagnant that I have more of a problem and think about having a smoke.

            Even just 68 days after giving up cigarettes for good, I have felt better. My body isn’t as lethargic and the habits I started practicing while I was still smoking, helped me quit and stay quit. I have toothpicks and cinnamon candies everywhere I am in case of emergency, and I take fresh air breaks if I need that habit of going outside- although winter and the cold have made that less frequent. I also stay away from the bars and quit drinking at home a lot. I will have a small amount of alcohol now and then but generally my drinking has gone down significantly. I always want to smoke when drinking. Bars make it even worse because it adds the social aspect of smoking as well because even though it is an unhealthy habit, it’s a natural ice breaker.
            Again, I know quitting smoking is hard. I’ve watched people go CRAZY without smokes. It is a powerful drug and one that I’m glad to not be a slave to anymore. Along with many other tobacco control programs, www.cancer.org gives a few health benefits that come with quitting smoking; many reasons I’m happy to be smoke free…
“20 minutes after quitting your heart rate and blood pressure drop.”
“12 hours after quitting the carbon monoxide level in your blood drops to normal.”
“2 weeks-3 months after quitting your circulation improves and your lung function increases.”
“1 year after quitting the excess risk of coronary heart disease is half that of a continuing smoker.”
“5 years after quitting risk of cancer of the mouth, throat, esophagus, and bladder are cut in half.”
            These among other health benefits help me keep my eye on the goal and to know that quitting isn’t a destination but rather a daily effort to maintain and better my health. Now not only do I look good, I smell FABULOUS!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hysterectomy Humor and Blues

I Am Exhausted

Coming Out- It's a Personal Thing